Thursday 14 August 2008

5.5 Weeks and counting

It has been a great adventure coming to Phnom Penh, Cambodia and working for 3 months with
one of the UN agencies relating to the recent national election in Cambodia. I could not believe I have been here for more than a month already!! Time flew very fast.

Although things have been fun at times, i yearn to be back in Japan. Hmm.. I did not miss Malaysia but Japan? Maybe the fact that I stayed in Malaysia for 2 weeks before coming to Phnom Penh make me miss Japan more than Malaysia. It also helps that my parents are coming over to Phnom Penh at the end of august to have a vacation and visiting yours truly. Actually, rather than missing Japan, I am missing the sushi and tempura!! I vow that the first thing I would be doing once I arrive at Japan is to have sushi at Ueno before taking the shinkansen to Niigata.




On the phnom penh side - The pagoda above is the first polling station that I visited during the recent election in Cambodia. In Cambodia, schools, pagodas and tents are used as polling stations.
And this picture is one of the office staff participating in a fire training - basically learning to use the fire extinguisher. I tried it once and it was easier than i anticipated.

The third picture was taken at the Cambodian Disabled People's Organization's office in Phnom Penh on 12th August 2008. They were conducting a workshop on data collection and the participants were outside of the workshop's room having group discussion. Part of my job assignment is to liaise with CDPO on specific projects that they were implementing. I am very happy to be involve with a great organization!!

No comments: