Friday 11 July 2008

Phnom Penh Adventure





I have been in Phnom Penh for more than a week to start my 3 month short stint of summer job with an international organization involving with the recent upcoming election. So far despite the
short time, I have attended a Cambodian wedding, countless rides on tuk tuks and even become a
passenger on a motorcycle with one of good Cambodian friend, Richie. Although initially I thought it would be very scary, but Richie's driving is prety good and I really enjoy the short ride.

However the Phnom Penh is quite scary. A lot of cars, tuk tuks and motorcycles that do not follow the law. It takes some time to get used to it. It was less scary nowadays but sometimes my heartbeat will rise a bit.

Have tried some different types of cuisine. Khmer, Thai, Middle Eastern, Indian and even Pakistani. My favourite Khmer food would the fish amok. It is a bit similar to the Malaysian cooking of 'masak lemak cili api'. Fish cook with coconut gravy and small chillis. It was very delicious. There is a Malaysian restaurant at Street 114 name Mamak's corner. Went there during the weekend to eat nasi campur. I wanted to eat the nasi lemak but apparently nasi lemak is only served during the breakfast hour. Above is my picture in front of the Malaysian restaurant.

My transition to Phnon Penh is not that easy. The street scares me. The roads are dusty, Too many dogs on the street. Maybe I am just a scaredy cat. However the work makes up for it. It
is very challenging and I enjoy it very much. The people are quite cool too. So maybe this stint would not be that bad after I get used to the conditions here.

No comments: